Braised in white wine with green olives, cherry tomatoes, and fresh thyme, our Provençal-style chicken delivers comfort on a plate. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes or alongside a loaf of crusty bread to soak up all the flavorful sauce.
Total Time: 75m
Prep Time: 15m
Cooking Time: 60m
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Prepare to cook—Heat oven to 400°F. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season on both sides with salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat.
- Sear the chicken—Once oil is hot, add chicken, skin side down, and cook for about 4 minutes without disturbing. Flip and cook the other side for another 4 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside on a plate.
- Sauté the aromatics—Add garlic and shallot to pot, and sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly to avoid burning garlic. Add the white wine, increase heat to high, and simmer for 2 minutes, while scraping up the brown bits in pot.
- Cook the chicken—Return chicken and juices to pot, skin side up. Add cherry tomatoes, olives, and fresh thyme. Cover pot and transfer to preheated oven. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove lid, baste chicken with pan juices, and continue cooking until chicken is beautifully browned and cooked through and tomatoes are blistered, another 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Pamper Your Chicken
Patting chicken dry with a paper towel ensures beautiful browning and crispier skin.
Out of Thyme?
Sprinkle tops of chicken thighs with a tablespoon or two of herbs de Provençe before braising in oven.