Eggs with Sautéed Spinach and Tomatoes
Spice up your morning routine with sunny-side-up eggs and spinach atop a tomato sauce featuring garlic, bell pepper, and a dash of cayenne. Serve with toast to soak up all the amazing sauce.
Total Time: 30m
Prep Time: 10m
Cooking Time: 20m
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups washed and dried baby spinach leaves
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fry the eggs—Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat, tilting to coat evenly. Crack eggs into the pan, being careful not to break yolks. Cook until whites are set, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Wilt the spinach—Add garlic to pan and sauté for 1 minute. Add spinach and cook until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Cook the tomatoes—Return skillet to heat and add red peppers, onions, and cayenne and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
- Assemble the dish—Return sunny-side-up eggs to skillet on top of tomatoes and add spinach next to the eggs. Sprinkle lemon juice over spinach and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 2 minutes or so until piping hot. Serve immediately.
Break a yolk and you’ll end up with scrambled eggs instead of sunny-side-up. Try cracking eggs into a ramekin (one at a time) and carefully pour them into the skillet.
Some Like it Hot
Amp up the spiciness with a splash of Sriracha, Tabasco, or your favorite hot sauce.