Quinoa Tabbouleh with Yogurt Dressing
Our take on this Mediterranean favorite stars nutty quinoa, green olives, and fresh veggies drizzled with a tangy yogurt dressing and topped with fresh herbs. Packed with protein, it’s great as a vegetarian main dish or serve as a side with grilled chicken or fish.
Total Time: 45m
Prep Time: 30m
Cooking Time: 15m
For the tabbouleh:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large English cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or parsley
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa—Heat oil a large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add quinoa and cook, stirring constantly, to toast the quinoa—about 2 minutes. Stir in the water or broth along with the salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside until cooled to room temperature.
- Add the veggies—Add cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives to quinoa and stir to combine evenly.
- Finish and serve—Divide tabbouleh between individual bowls. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Enjoy!
Rinsing removes quinoa’s natural coating, called saponin, which can be bitter or have a soap-like flavor.
If any liquid remains in pot or quinoa is underdone, return pot to low heat and cook, covered, for another 5 minutes.